By: iCopywriter Senior Editor, Heather Price-Wright
Actually, the news that smartphone addiction is a very real and very fast-spreading phenomenon is probably not “freaky” so much as, well, obvious. But a new study released by the mobile security firm Lookout revealed some troubling facts about the way we interact with our Crackberries and i-Can’t-Put-it-Down Phones.
- Most of us – more than 60% of those surveyed – can’t survive a single waking hour without checking our phones.
- The younger we are, the worse the addiction is. A whopping 73% of women and 63% of men ages 18-34 couldn’t go an hour without looking at their smartphones.
- It’s not just waking hours, either – 54% of respondents admitted to checking their phones from bed, some even in the middle of the night.
- With the advent of the smartphone, manners and basic decency seem to have gone out the window, judging by the fact that almost 33% of those surveyed use their phones while eating with others.
- “Eyes on the road” doesn’t seem to be a rule we live by anymore, either, as 24% of surveyed people said they check their cell phones while driving, as well as engaging in other high-risk smartphone habits.
- And finally, how sad is this? Almost 75% said they felt “panicked” when they misplaced their cell phones. Only 6%
So, how can you tell if you, too, are suffering from the menace that is smartphone addiction? We’ve come up with a list of behaviors we think might constitute an unhealthy attachment to a little piece of metal and plastic. We admit that some of these apply to us – do you see yourself here, too?
- The last thing you do before bed isn’t brush your teeth, say your prayers or even kiss your loved ones goodnight – instead, you check your email and play a word in Words With Friends.
- You have panic dreams about life without your Android.
- You miss big events because you’re too busy trying to take pictures of them with Instagram and post them to Facebook.
- You feel irrational fear on airplanes, not because you’re in a metal tube hurtling through the sky, but because you had to put your phone on airplane mode.
- You take your phone with you to the bathroom. Yuck. Seriously, stop doing that.
Have you checked out iCopywriter.com lately?
Photocredit: GinaEllen, www.stockfreeimages.com/