By: iCopywriter Senior Editor, Heather Price-Wright
According to the Australian Associated Press, an 18-year-old man in Taiwan collapsed and died July 15, after playing the online video game “Diablo 3” for 40 consecutive hours. While an autopsy has yet to reveal the exact cause of the man’s death, officials guessed that sitting in the same place and position for so long led to cardiovascular issues that may have killed him.inflatables
The AAP also notes that this was the second videogame-related death in Taiwan this year.
In February, a 23-year-old man died in a Taipei, Taiwan Internet café while playing the online game “League of Legends.” Nine hours later, a waitress noticed him sitting rigidly in his chair, his hands stretched toward the computer, dead. In that case, cardiac arrest was found to be the cause of death.
There’s obviously nothing amusing or worth poking fun at about two young men’s deaths. We’re saddened by their lives that were cut short, and for their families and friends.
But we also can’t help thinking, come on, guys. Sure, we all have a pastime we get a little obsessed with (in this particular office, you might catch us re-watching the entire first season of “Girls” for, oh, the 10th time). But no job, awesome HBO show, sport or videogame is worth losing your life, or even compromising your health, over. So, if you look up and realize you’ve been playing the apparently incredibly addictive “Diablo 3” for the last eight hours, may we offer the following tips?
- GO OUTSIDE. Seriously. Your body needs vitamin D and there’s none of that in Cheetos.
- Call a friend. Get lunch or coffee or something. Have a conversation.
- Have a long chat with a loved one who’s far away. Everyone paces when they talk on the phone, so you’ll get a little exercise in, too.
- Do the dishes. You know you’ll feel better once they’re done.
- Make these precious flower lights out of cupcake baking cups.
- Or, turn a sweater you shrank in the wash into a cardigan.
- Oops. Get off Pinterest.
- You know what? Return to step one. Go back outside. Watch the sunset. Take a run. There’s a whole world out there that you don’t want to miss.
Have you checked out iCopywriter lately?