We haven’t yet written about Google Glass, the search giant’s supremely cool but, well, freaky and also fashion-challenged virtual reality glasses. It seems we were just waiting for the right opportunity, which New York Fashion Week has dropped into our laps.
According to Google, designer Diane von Furstenberg is a big fan of Google Glass, having first tried out the product at a conference she and co-founder Sergey Brin both attended. She agreed to feature the eyewear in her fall fashion show, as well as use the glasses to capture exclusive footage of what it takes to put on such a show. Everyone, from models to hair and makeup professionals to the savvy designer herself, wore Glass during the week leading up to the big night, and the video they put together using the footage is, admittedly, pretty cool.
Of course, the point of a fashion show is to showcase fashion, and on that count, we’re not sure the whole Google Glass thing totally worked. Von Furstenberg’s collection is lovely, (we’re particularly obsessed with Look #8) but the Google glasses look like something out of Star Trek. They don’t exactly scream model-chic. Still, the marriage of haute couture and geek culture was a pretty cool one, and it’s super hip of the always-fabulous DVF to try something so innovative. We’re always willing to give her a pass.
The Google Glass fashion footage got us thinking: What other professionals could wear the glasses to work and give us a sneak peak into their daily lives? Our top picks:
- The Real Housewives. All of ‘em. Because, let’s face it, those ladies need more screen time.
- Ditto the Gallery Girls. Because we’re obsessed.
- Those crazy deep-sea fisherman. We’re always up for some terrifying-jobs-that-aren’t-ours action, especially if it reminds us of Captain Ahab.
- Anyone who hunts ghosts for a living.
- M. Night Shyamalan. Where does that dude get his ideas? Do we even want to know? Is this the most early-2000s reference ever, or what?
Who do you think should be next to show us their daily lives via Google Glass? Let us know in the comments?
Have you checked out iCopywriter.com lately?