By: iCopywriter Senior Editor, Heather Price-Wright
FreakyFunFriday: Faves of the Day
It’s Friday, and it’s hot, and frankly, we’re not in the mood for anything freaky today. What we’re really in the mood for is lying by the pool eating popsicles, but barring that, today is a day to be entertained and to learn something. And what better way to do that than by watching our favorite TED Talks?
In case you haven’t heard of TED Talks (really? You haven’t heard of TED Talks?), the gist is that the nonprofit organization TED, which stands for “Technology, Entertainment, Design,” gets crazy-smart, top-of-their-field experts in those three realms to give talks on their work, in the name of spreading what TED calls “Ideas Worth Sharing.” The talks can be long or short, deliciously simple or wonderfully high-tech, but they all are meant to teach and inspire everyday people to learn, share ideas and innovate together.
There have been a host of TED talks on the subjects we geek out about, from SEO to social media to anything techy. But a few stand head and shoulders above the rest as our favorites. So, without further ado, we present for your edification and enjoyment:
- How to Be a Social Media Power Player and Also Make Awesome Tacos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgj2K6_Iym0
- He May Have Creepy Hair, but Man do We Need What He Does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNOnvp5t7Do
- Goofy Sketches and Flash Mobs Make People Love Each Other http://www.ted.com/talks/charlie_todd_the_shared_experience_of_absurdity.html
- The Only Time I’ve Ever Though Algorithms Were Cool (and Also a Little Scary) http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/kevin_slavin_how_algorithms_shape_our_world.html
- (A Bonus) This Isn’t About Tech but It’s Too Beautiful Not to Watch http://www.ted.com/talks/sarah_kay_if_i_should_have_a_daughter.html
- OK, One More, Because Who Can Resist Billy Collins http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/billy_collins_everyday_moments_caught_in_time.html